Thursday, April 28, 2011

Just a quick PSA for my mommy friends :)



I've unfortunately been inundated with visions of improperly tightened or restrained children in car safety seats. I just want to show a couple pictures of what should and should not be done with car seat harness straps. It's something I am very vigilant about with our girls since they are absolutely the most precious thing in the world in my life.

Without further adieu-

What NOT to do-

Car seat straps should NEVER dangle off the shoulders, and the chest plate should never be below armpit level.

(please don't pay attention to the date stamp, it's totally wrong)




Straps should look like this-

Straps should fit snuggly over the shoulders, with the chest plate aligned at the armpits. You should not be able to fit more then two fingers comfortably under the chest plate, nor should you be able to pinch the straps. If you can pinch them, then they are much to loose.

or

Also, proper strap height-

For forward facing(which is the arrangement I used for these pictures, although the seat is not actually installed) the straps should be AT or ABOVE the shoulders.

For rearfacing(which both of my girls are), the straps should be AT or BELOW the shoulders.


Be blessed ya'll!

2 comments:

  1. I saw one today...kid had their doll buckled in the seat with them, between them and the straps...I cringed..big time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for telling me the difference with where the straps should be positioned with the shoulders. I tried when my daughter was younger, I always knew the rules about the pinching straps, 2 finger rule, etc...but I never was able to find info about which holes the straps should be adjusted to. Now that I think back, my common sense made me do it the correct way, but its always good to confirm it. My daughter is now a big girl and in a booster seat. She still always wears her seatbelt properly. And I am the most cautious mama bear driver there is!

    ReplyDelete